Sunday, January 10, 2010

2010 looks to be an interesting year

Consider this fair warning that there is a very real possibility that this blog will turn into a way of journalling my quest to get healthy. In the past I have made half-assed attempts at it, with limited success. I have lost weight, gained weight, tried running, tried gyms, tried DVDs at home, tried Weight Watchers, tried walking it off ... ok - you get the idea, although that list is not exhaustive (if it wasn't sad, it would be laughable how much I have tried). What I have NOT tried, is dealing with the reasons why I prefer to binge eat and sit on my duff instead of getting exercise. I have a pretty good idea of the "why", but that isn't enough. I have said it before, but it is worth saying again: I don't want to go the way my parents did. I either make changes now, or I risk that very problem.

So. I am embarking on what promises to be a shiteous journey of major changes.

I will need all the encouraging words I can get, so my request to anybody here is that if you don't have anything supportive to say, please don't comment. I know a lot of my friends will tell me that "you look great" or "you are being hard on yourself", but neither of those are true anymore. I may have a fabulous new hair colour, but I can't deny that my body has changed a lot in the last few years, and not for the better.

The only thing that I can guarantee is that the next few months are going to be hard, and I am not looking forward to the struggle ahead. That is probably a defeatist attitude, isn't it ... gonna have to work on that too, I guess.

2 comments:

Angela said...

What is ultimately most important is that you feel good in your skin, so you're totally right that anything we say is secondary to how you feel.

**squish**

Oh, and I'd do a little basic yoga first. In fact, I should do a little basic yoga too. **grin**

Anonymous said...

I support you in whatever you do! Ill be there all the way! I want you here for the next 60 years. - Cal